Last week The Lausanne Board of Directors confirmed my new appointment as Lausanne Senior Associate for Media Engagement. My mandate and task is closely related to the threefold media challenge from The Cape Town Commitment, i.e. the urgent need as Christians to engage the contemporary world of the media in the three key areas of “media awareness, media presence, and media ministries”.
I take on this new global role with gratitude, humility and enthusiasm. Partly because it is a continuation of my role as ‘point person’ for ‘Media and Technology’ at The Lausanne III Congress in Cape Town in 2010. But also because it seems like a natural extension of my present leadership and research tasks at Gimlekollen School of Journalism and Communication (NLA University College).
According to the official position profile, the role as Senior Associate includes the following tasks:
- “To be a clear voice for world evangelization, calling the whole church to take the whole gospel to the whole world
- To serve as a persuasive advocate for The Cape Town Commitment and its “Calls to Action” related to his/her issue
- To coordinate a global team of leaders and advisors who will serve as nodes (connecting points) for a network of leaders, partnering organizations and other networks related to their issue
- To encourage the development of emerging leaders within that focus area
- To stimulate biblical as well as strategic reflection, discussion and action related to the focus area”
Damaris Norway will be a strategic and flexible support organization for this new task. This includes hosting the forthcoming upgraded and revised version of www.EngagingMedia.info as a central web platform.
It will also be natural to use The Media Communicators Network at the annual European Leadership Forum as a key arena, hopefully also for evangelical media strategists, educators and practitioners from The Global South.
See also my article in the Lausanne Global Conversation: A Vision for Media Engagement
Norsk: I forrige uke ble jeg utnevnt til rollen som Lausanne Senior Associate for Media Engagement. Dette er en mediefaglig lederrolle i den internasjonale Lausanne-bevegelsen.
Se nyhetssak på NLA Høgskolens webside og på utsyn.no.
(Updated 24th Oct. 2013)