Material from the MA course «Understanding Ethics: A Christian Perspective»; taught as a foundation course for the MA in Journalism and Media Studies programme at Uganda Christian University.
Core curriculum [required reading]:
- David Gooding and John Lennox, The Bible and Ethics. A Handbook for Students and Teachers (Coleraine: Myrtlefield House, 2015); also available online as pdf.
- John Stott and Roy McCloughry, Issues Facing Christians Today (Grand Rapids, MI; Zondervan, 2006; 4th ed.); pp. 23-95, three selected chapters (i.e. one chapter from each of the sections “global issues”, “social issues”, “personal issues”), and pp. 485-501.
JMS FS 2102 Understanding Ethics – Syllabus (2018).
- Understanding Ethics – Introduction
- The Moral and Ethical Teaching of the Old Testament
- The Moral and Ethical Teachings of Jesus Christ
- Christian Ethics – An Overview
- (5-A) Model for Approaching Ethical Issues / (5-B) Ethical issues-Guide to reading and writing
- Human Rights
- Global Poverty
- Celebrating Ethnic Diversity
- Social Issues – a brief overview
- Men and women
- Life and death
- Summary conclusions and reflections
(Updated 7th Feb. 2018)